I use a device called an OBI100 with google voice to make and receive phone calls when at home. This allows me to use the same phone number for voice/cell/texts etc. It only cost me about $30 btw. Recently, I hit a snag.
When I tried to make a phone call, after I dialed the number, a voice reported: "no service error please login to obitalk and configure your device"
Recently, one of my clients let their subscription to AVG anti-virus lapse and all 8 computers on their network were complaining about the subscription having expired. I purchased a new license key and went about putting it into the AVG's that were running. Strangely, the field for the license number was grayed out so I couldn't paste it in.
If you check Drupal 7 module updates and you get messages indicating no available releases found for modules that you know are legitimate. It usually looks something like this. The URL is ../admin/reports/updates There is a quick fix:
What a great utility Drush is. If you don't know, it is a command-line utility for use to do all sorts of amazing things to a Drupal system. You can easily make a quick database backup with the following command:
On Drupal 7 sites I always spend time in the content view. That is the one at admin/content. I usually install the views bulk operation module so I get these cool new views that I can easily tweak. What a pleasure! Recently I was on a site that had the administration views module installed. This replaces the default views for content and comment (and more.) Unfortunately the link for editing the view that is so handy is turned off. This
Well I've started using Windows 8. My old laptop is creaking along and about to give up the ghost. I've been using Windows 7 64-bit edition on it and it has been steady as a rock for quite some time now. My desktop on the other hand is an MSI based AMD machine with Windows 7 32-bit on it. It has been running fairly well but stutters a whole bunch. 8 Gigs of RAM doesn't seem to help this beast a bit. I got a new hard drive (Seagate 1 Terrabyte 6 GB/second SATA) to see if that would help with the stuttering but it didn't. So after transferring everything to the new drive, I decided it
It seems that every time a certain client of mine (at two different businesses) updates their quickbooks POS (point of sale) system, they lose connection to the quickbooks data and can't synchronize their transactions from the POS to Quickbooks.