Before the Blitz.
- Identify site and dates.
- Measure and flag structures (berms, basins, trails, etc.).
- Put up wooden stakes for berm heights.
- Draw design.
- Post invitation and design on AustinProgressiveCalendar.
- Forward invitation to Facebook, personal pages, and email distribution lists, etc.
- Prepare any other marketing materials and disseminate.
- Determine plant and materials list.
- Send lists and design to site owner.
- Gather vegetation and materials.
At the Blitz.
- Introduce the concept of Permablitz to the group.
- The history and people involved.
- Introduce key people.
- Explain the design to the group.
- Draw structures on whiteboard.
- Tool Talk
- Use and Safety.
Garden bed excavation.
- Remove unwanted existing vegetation and clean site.
- Do fine raking of structures.
- Check final levels of structures.
- Swale and Berm Workshop.
- Dig swales and berms, detention basins, and diversion ditches.
- Dig central ditches for swales, then the down hill side of the swale, and lastly the uphill side of the swale.
- Dig holes for large trees.
- Soil Workshop.
- Apply soil amendments, minerals, and organic fertilizers.
Plant large vegetation.
- Vegetation Workshop.
- Plant fruit, shade, and farmer's trees. Root prune, divide plants as needed.
- Mulch Workshop.
- Fill swales, basins, and ditches with course mulch.
Plant anything outside of main structures.
Install drip irrigation.
- Irrigation Workshop.
- Unwind and stretch out pipe to relax it.
- Test pipes and lines for leaks.
- Position pipe and pin with 6"-8" staple pins.
- Install back-flow prevention, timer valve, pressure regulator, filter, and hose adapter.
- Test water pressure.
- Program timer.
- Build manifolds, flush before closing.
- Install brown lines.
- Test system.
- Instruct site owner on irrigation operation.
Plant and spread vegetable and cover crop seeds.
Mulch berms and other planted areas.
Plant small herbs, perennials, seedlings, slips, and bulbs.
Prune plantings for ideal shape.
Install trellis, cages, and any other features.
Soak structures with hose end sprayer.
Instruct site owner on weeding, further planting, pruning, and any other maintenance.